Friday, November 12, 2010

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

Most of you probably never knew I had pain in my knees. So after 10 years of knee pain I finally went to the Doc to find out why. Yes I know I put up with it way too long and thought it would go away but it is now getting worse and has moved into both knees. I never injured it, it just has always been there through the years for no reason. Well now I know the reason.
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
also known as runner's knee, but mine is a little different then most because mine didn't start from overuse of knee in a sport or activity. My knee is deformed hahah just kidding but sorta.
A normal knee curves up at the top, but mine is completely flat...almost like people with flat feet. Which causes different things to happen.
Here is a pic of what my knee cap looks like, because of the flatness of my knee it causes my cap to slightly tilt to one side and that puts stress which causes pain. The pain occurs when my knee is bent, or bending. So to squat, bend down to the ground on my knees or even just sitting or laying with my knees bent for a couple minutes cause it to hurt. Lately worse then ever!!!

My options are basically physical therapy and just learning to exercise it the right way. I have to strenghten the muscles in my upper leg that help support my knee...once those are strengthened it should help with the pain, but it is something I have to work on the rest of my life. No gaining weight and keeping my legs fit is going to be hard but that option sounds better then surgery or injections.

I'm just finally happy to know what my knee is doing now and what I need to do to make it better. It sucks, but I always knew there were things wrong with my body that I had no control over so if this is it then I'm ok with it.

5 comments:

The Toland's said...

I know why you never went to the doctor to find out... because you probably had dad telling you that doctors are pointless and they are just going to tell you what he already knows... right?! hahah Sorry to hear you have this deformed problem... but you know you probably didn't develop right because I stole all the nutrients in the womb... you weren't suppose to be here, my plan failed!

Cari said...

That stinks! I did some physical therapy for my hypermobile meniscus problem and it worked great! I used to be able to run 2.5 miles before the pain hit unless I had my knee sleeves on. Now as long as I go less than 10 I'm okay even without the sleeves. Hopefully it works for you too!

Alecia said...

oweeeee! you poor girl. you are so tough and never complain! glad that you FINALLY went to the doc to get it figured out. looks like its water aerobics from now on!

Marlon and Suzana said...

Wow I had no idea! At least you can do something about it I guess.

CoreyAnn said...

Stac! I think my mom actually has that too! ...she says she has a birth defect where her leg bone tips her patella when she walks.